March 3, 2008

The Flu or Something

This was not my favorite weekend. I went to the doctor on Friday because I was having asthma problems, something that occurs just rarely enough that all my inhalers expire before the next occurrence. This, I readily admit, is a good problem.

I was hoping for one of those short visits where we chat for a few minutes about the kids, he dispenses the prescriptions and I'm out'ta there. But, perhaps since he hadn't seen me since my last asthma flare up a year and a half ago, he felt that while he had me, he should inflict some other asthma-related precautions including the Pneumonia Vaccine, much to my 4-year old's delight.

While the nurse administered the shot she said, "This almost never hurts afterward." That was about 1:00. After that I dropped the kids at the babysitter, went to the middle school, taught viola students for an hour, headed home, put the kids down for naps, and suddenly felt the urgent need to lie down. Upon my husband's 5:00 arrival, I was lying under a thick blanket and asked for a second one. He looked at me suspiciously and went for the thermometer. This begun a feverish weekend flat on my back, with my vaccinated arm feeling like it was going to fall off. It's mostly a blur.

So, was it the flu or a reaction to the pneumonia vaccine? I don't know. I did get the flu shot, but apparently it was not very effective this year. The flu is peaking locally, and the virus could have come from any number of suspects including my dad and about 100 middle school orchestra students.

On the other hand, possible side effects of the pneumonia vaccine are "fever, aches or pain in joints or muscles; swollen glands; unusual tiredness or weakness; vague feeling of bodily discomfort." All of this sounds remarkably similar to our friend the flu. I'm afraid it will remain a mystery.

This morning, I'm happy to report, things are looking up. Unfortunately, all this progress occurred after my husband arranged for a sub, much to his dismay. He's a high school math teacher and has a simple two step process for determining whether or not to go to school.

Question #1: Am I alive? If yes, proceed to school. If no, proceed to question #2.

Question #2: Is there any way I can influence the lives of tomorrow's youth from the grave? If yes, proceed to school.

Note that his two-step process does not have any clause such as, "Will my children be foraging in the woods for berries and grubs because my wife is too sick to get them food?"

In his 14-year career, I don't recall him staying home sick more than once. He's gone multiple times without a voice, doing his teaching completely from overhead projector notes, with some pre-written choice personal remarks directed toward various students. These are high standards for the rest of us mere mortals.

All this should not imply that he is not a committed husband or father. He is simply the best. He is just committed to his commitments, which I'm sure that the people at the other end really appreciate.

But today will not be a time of fun and frivolity. I will instead be about the serious business of getting better, constantly mindful of the many students whose math abilities are suffering on my behalf. Fortunately, my body seems to be cooperating.

No comments: