April 23, 2008

Scherazade

Although in my profile I describe myself as an occasional musician, in the past few months I've had more practicing to do than time to do it.

Currently I have the joy of practicing the second violin part of Scherazade by Rimsky Korsakov. It's the first time I've played it since college and I remember it as one of the only times I've ever had chills (the good kind) while performing. Normally while performing symphonic works, my feelings are more akin to panic, as I haven't had much violin training since high school, and I'm proof that a decent high school musician does not magically turn into a professional. Still, I love it - and hate it - but mostly love it.

Back to Scherazade, apparently the story is about a Persian King who, discovering the infidelity of his first wife, takes a new wife each night and beheads her in the morning. When Scherazade becomes the king's wife, she spends the night entertaining him with an unfinished story. He is forced to keep her alive to hear the end of it. This continues for 1001 nights, until the king pardons her.

Hmmmm....that might be more than I wanted to know.

But it's beautiful. Check out the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th parts as well.

1 comment:

mandt said...

I liked it better before I heard the story. Thanks though. It's neat it is a piece you enjoy - we'd like to come to the concert. :)