Whew! Time flies in the summer! Here's another month-in review, if I can remember what happened.
Near the beginning of the month I attended the String Academy of Wisconsin's workshop for teachers of young children. I went because the assistant orchestra director at school recommended it and, lacking any kind of music degree, I knew that pretty much any training would improve my teaching of the 6th grade cherubs. As people were introducing themselves, I realized that some had come quite far to hear the wonderful Mimi Zwieg. I found out why!
She is a violin pedagogy expert from Indiana University. In addition to providing tons of information and conducting master classes, she and her colleague, Darcy Drexler, spent time demonstrating their techniques on us. With a few minutes of coaching they gave me many ways to improve my playing. And I definitely feel more prepared for my 6th graders. I'm thankful for the experience.
The view from my 15th-floor dorm room with Lake Michigan in the background
Near the beginning of the month I attended the String Academy of Wisconsin's workshop for teachers of young children. I went because the assistant orchestra director at school recommended it and, lacking any kind of music degree, I knew that pretty much any training would improve my teaching of the 6th grade cherubs. As people were introducing themselves, I realized that some had come quite far to hear the wonderful Mimi Zwieg. I found out why!
She is a violin pedagogy expert from Indiana University. In addition to providing tons of information and conducting master classes, she and her colleague, Darcy Drexler, spent time demonstrating their techniques on us. With a few minutes of coaching they gave me many ways to improve my playing. And I definitely feel more prepared for my 6th graders. I'm thankful for the experience.
The view from my 15th-floor dorm room with Lake Michigan in the backgroundWith a one-day stop at home, we then journeyed to northern Michigan with Tom's parents. First we stopped in Charlevoix, where the kids were the first to play in the new interactive fountain.
Until the end, they didn't notice the men sitting behind a one-way window controlling each spray and splash. Upon meeting these guys and seeing them in action, Jonathan added a new career path to his home building aspirations: Fountain Programmer.

At Munising, unless we were this close to the pictured rocks, we had a great view of the fog:
but it was still fun
We found our favorite driftwood beach:
And made great memories with the grandparents.
After separating from them, we visited Milwaukee and Chicago before returning home.In the times between the trips, we've spent a lot of time with the cousins while their parents packed....
and packed....
and packed for Tanzania.
We were reminded that going anywhere with 7 kids age 8 and under is CRAZY even when they're good kids! At the county fair, we had 9 kids. Thankfully, we only lost a couple.We also celebrated two cousin birthdays.
My sister is (hopefully) almost finished packing and will be leaving for Tanzania tomorrow. And while I know that the work they are doing there will benefit many people, I am personally very, very sad, as we probably won't be seeing them for 3 or 4 years.
It's always nice to walk along the road of life with your sister by your side.
2 comments:
We will miss you guys very much too.
Great post!
Post a Comment